Asian-American Mental Health
As an Asian-American, there are a wealth of addiction and mental health resources available. Mission also curates and supports tools to report and fight discrimination and hate crimes. For even more resources, check out AANAPISI at Mission.
Such assistance can help you understand the complex relationships between your culture/s and your mental health. Developing healthy and life-sustaining connections that celebrate your culture/s and help them fully participate in them is integral to well-being.
- National Asian American Pacific Islander Mental Health Associationbehavioral and mental health services in different U.S. states.
- Selected Patient Information in Asian Languages (SPIRAL) Includes lists of health centers and other medical information in various Asian languages.
- Special Services for Groups, Inc. (SSG)- Provides behavioral health services, recovery support, and prevention strategies for immigrants and people with limited English skills.
- Each Mind Matters -Discusses community mental health resources in English and other languages as well as information about private services.
- California Asian Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus - contains community resources, including counseling and assistance for treating drug abuse
- National Asian Pacific American Families Against Substance Abuse
- Asian American Psychological Association
Resources that Address Suicide
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800)273-TALK (1-855)951-4874). Chat is also available.
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- Asian-American Suicide Prevention & Education
- Stop AAPI Hate - allows people to report incidents against members of Asian American and Pacific Islander communities in several languages.
- Human Rights Watch - provides contact information for reporting hate crimes to various organizations.
- Asian-Americans Advancing Justice
- Asian-American Legal Defense and Education Fund
Understanding Asian-American Cultures
- Supporting Students from Diverse Racial and Ethnic Backgrounds - explains how different cultures view mental health and includes resources for understanding cultures and finding assistance
- Asia Society (Center for Global Education) - comprehensive articles about Asian American culture.
- WISE: Working to Improve Schools and Education - Information about different Asian American cultures, including resources for teachers who have students from different communities
- Multifaceted: The Cultural Diversity of Asian America - Discusses the cultural diversity of different communities and contains links to the documentary series Asian Americans
- Working with Asian-American Patients - A guide for psychiatrists from the American Psychiatric Association