Steps for Apply for Financial Aid
STEP 1: Submit a FAFSA or Dream Act Application
For U.S. Citizens and Permanent Legal Residents (Green Card Holders, Refugee, etc.)
Mission College’s Federal School Code is: 014458
1. Go to: www.fafsa.gov and select the correct year’s application
- 2019-20 for Fall 2019, Spring 2020 and Summer 2020 (available October 1, 2018)
- OR... 2020-2021 for Fall 2020, Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 (available October 1, 2019)
- FSA ID: Create a User Name and Password:
- Click on “Create an FSA ID"
- Follow directions. Enter your log-in and personal information and submit your FSA ID information.
3. Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (if taxes filed)
- Click on: Step-by-Step Directions for IRS Data Retrieval Tool
- If IRS Data Retrieval Tool does not work order a Tax Return Transcript at www.irs.gov
Need help? Visit the Financial Aid Office
STEP 2: Processing of FAFSA or Dream Act Application
Allow one to two weeks for your FAFSA or Dream Act application to be processed and sent to the college for review.
When you submit your application you will then receive two emails:
- From the Dept. of Education with your Student Aid Report (SAR)
Review SAR for accuracy and read “Comment Codes”
(If corrections are made, allow additional 1-2 weeks to process corrected information.)
- From the Financial Aid Office confirming receipt of your FAFSA.
(Instructions are given to check the status on My Mission Portal)
STEP 3: Submit Documents
Check My Mission Portal to see what documents are required as part of your application. Follow the steps below:
- Log into My Mission Portal
- Click Login - Student Portal
- Click College Web Services
- Enter User ID / PIN
- Click the “Financial Aid” Tab
- Click “Eligibility”
- Click “Student Requirements”
- Select “Aid Year” (Example: select 2019-2020 for Fall 2019)
- Review “Unsatisfied Requirements” and Complete unsatisfied requirements and/or submit documents listed
- Incomplete documents will not be accepted
If no requirements are listed, please contact the Financial Aid Office, SEC 118.
STEP 4: File Review
Files are reviewed by FA staff in order of date received.
During the file review process, additional documents may be requested.
Check your My Mission Portal regularly for notifications.
Files will not be reviewed until all required documents are submitted.
Entire process may take a minimum 4-6 weeks (longer if corrections are needed/during start of semester.)
Completed Files are reviewed to determine eligibility, and students can check their financial aid award on My Mission Portal.
STEP 5: Funds are Paid
Funds are paid through BankMobile. For information visit the BankMobile Refund and Disbursement Process page.
If you don't qualify for a Pell Grant, don't give up! You may still be eligible for a variety of other types of financial assistance, including fee waivers and scholarships. To find out about these other options, ask the staff at the Financial Aid Office.