Academic Support Center / Tutoring Center
The Academic Support Center (ASC) is the principal academic support service at Mission College. We provide students tutoring services for many courses taught campus-wide. The center’s facilities enable students to study collaboratively as well as individually. We strive to offer quality services in a variety of formats to respond to individual student needs. Our goal is to create an open atmosphere of learning to help students become independent and active learners.
We offer free one-on-one and group tutoring in a wide range of disciplines. We also help with study strategies. The tutoring schedule may change each semester based on tutor availability and funding.
Types of Tutoring Services:
- Each appointment is 30 minutes. You may schedule an appointment two weeks in advance but at least 24 hours prior to the time you wish to set up.
- You must notify the center if you are running late (Jeff Bunch, 408-855-5320). If you are late by 10 or more minutes your tutor may start helping other student.
- If you need to cancel your appointment, go online to cancel the appointment at least 24 hours in advance. Please note that if you have three "no-shows", you may lose appointment privileges for the remainder of the term.
- Use the 24/7 online scheduling system to set up your appointment (if you are new to our appointment system, please stop by the ASC to set up your appointment account before arranging your first session).
- Recurring appointments are scheduled on a WEEKLY basis. They are set for the semester: same day, same time, same tutor.
- These appointments are 50 minutes in length and are granted upon tutor availability; be advised that you should apply early in the term to increase your chances of finding a tutor that meets your schedule.
- If you cannot attend a session, you are responsible for notifying the center (Jeff Bunch, 408-855-5320; email@example.com) at least 24 hours in advance. Missed appointments cannot be rescheduled.
- Drop-in tutoring is for quick questions. It is not designed to be an in-depth one-on-one tutoring session. Tutors provide guidance and information, coming and going between students, while you work through your material.
- Drop-in tutoring is only available for some courses. Check the posted schedules near the sign-in computer for more detail.
- You may receive help on a first-come basis at any time during the posted hours.
- Drop-in tutors work with more than one student at a time. Waiting times may vary.
- When you have a question, you need to add yourself to the electronic queue system (ask ASC staff for instructions).
For more information about the option of online tutoring, go to the Online Tutoring webpage.
In addition, ASC provides peer-embedded support for a wide variety of courses in basic skills, transfer, STEM, and courses that lead to degrees or certificates.
Our faculty, staff, and tutors promote active learning through small group workshops, individual and group tutoring, personalized assessment, and interactive multimedia.
Come and learn how we can help you succeed!
Need help with a research paper or assignment? Our Writing Center within the ASC is here to help! Click here for more details.
CRLA Certified Tutoring Program
The Academic Support Center's (ASC) Tutoring Program is certified by the College Reading and Learning Association's (CRLA) International Tutor Training Program Certification (ITTPC). The CRLA is a professional organization that conducts and supports research on the effective practices of college and university learning assistance programs.
Service Area Outcome (SAO)
Students who have visited the Academic Support Center regularly will report that they have gained skills to help them become more successful in their college courses.