Every time you are on campus, you must take the self-screener assessment for COVID-19. You may easily access this link on your phone by downloading our Go Mission app.
Fire Technology & EMT
Real-World Experience, Tools, & Networking
- Faculty are officers from local fire service agencies.
- Prepare to meet California firefighter requirements.
- We are the only community college in the county to offer an Associate's in Fire Protection Technology.
How to Become a Firefighter
To qualify for fire department jobs, you will need to pass the programs listed below. A Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) is also required yearly to ensure you are physically fit.
I got hired by the Santa Clara County Fire Department in 2002 and still hold my position as a proud Firefighter and Engineer. This also inspired me to develop Blaze of Glory Fitness to help prepare, train, guide and motivate potential firefighters.
Shay Mountford '98
Firefighter and Fitness Coach
- Communication and teamwork
- Practical skills in operating and using tools
- Decision making
- High physical fitness
- Ability to act quickly, adapt and to remain calm
- Self discipline
- Tolerance to variety of personalities
- Following directions and regulations
Select Jobs in the Field
- EMT and Paramedic
- Fire Chief or Captain
- Safety Manager
- Fire Sprinkler Designer
- Fire Marshall
- Health and Safety Manager
- Fire Protection Engineer
- Fire Inspector
Nursing Degree Programs
EMT and firefighter training is well-supplemented by nursing. We also offer CPR classes and certification through our Health Occupations program, which is required for our eight unit EMT course sequence. Learn more about nursing courses.