Vocational Nursing (VN) Program
Apply Today! Application Period
October 9, 2023 @ 10 a.m. (opens)
October 30, 2023 @ 4 p.m. (closes)
Welcome! Please find instructions and application requirements for the Spring 2024 (cohort) Vocational Nursing (VN) program listed below.
Application Process, Eligibility Checklist, Required Documents
Mission College’s Health Occupation program receives more qualified applicants than we are able to accept. Due to the number of qualified applicants and limited enrollment, if all requirements are not complete and submitted by deadlines, acceptance into the program may be denied or revoked.
Once accepted, students who do not complete all requirements are considered ineligible for the program and will need to reapply.
- Only complete AND signed applications will be considered.
- Only online applications will be accepted.
- Proof of work experience required to receive credit for work experience in the health care field. (Letter from employer confirming employment or current payroll receipt confirming current employment)
- No info regarding application status will given over phone or by email inquiries.
- All applicants will be notified of status via email during week of November 27, 2023.
Important: Download and fill out this document prior to starting your application.
- Vocational Nursing Program Application
- This is a fillable PDF, you may complete it using Acrobat or
an online free service like PDFescape.
- This is a fillable PDF, you may complete it using Acrobat or
- High School Diploma, or GED, or Associate Degree or higher from a WASC accredited US college.
- Applicant has to be at least 17 years of age at start of program.
- Current California Department of Public Health (CDPH), Certification as Certified Nurse Assistants (CNA).
- Completion of BIO*022 - Anatomy and Physiology (4 units) OR the equivalent with a “C” or better.
- Current American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) Certificate.
- A social security number or an ITIN with legal work authorization is required to participate in the clinical components of this program. A clinical agency may require background checks, proof of health insurance, and selective service registration for males ages 18-25. If at any time, a clinical agency denies student access, the student will be required to withdraw from the program.
- Complete and sign the online application and completed Vocational Nursing Program Application before submittal.
- Attach ALL unofficial college transcripts (including Mission College transcripts). (If accepted into the program Official Transcripts will need to be submitted for ALL courses.)
- Attach proof of high school diploma, GED, or Associates Degree or higher from a WASC accredited college. (This is required by the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians.)
- All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by the International Education Research Foundation www.ierf.org or World Education Services www.wes.org or International Evaluation Service www.iescaree.com, a credential evaluation service for determining U.S. equivalency. If a foreign degree was earned, the evaluation must state its equivalency to a U.S. degree by official evaluation.
- Attach proof of Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA) certificate from California Department of Public Health (CDPH).
- Attach your completed Vocational Nursing Program Application.
- Attach Course Descriptions. If any course work is completed from a college other than West Valley/Mission College you must include a copy of the course description from the college where course work was completed. The same standard of WASC accreditation must be met by courses accepted for college credit.
Coursework Considered for Application (Included but Not Limited to)
|Course Name||Required to be Completed During Program (if not prior)|
|Care of the Geriatric Patient (HOC*028)||Yes|
|General Psychology (PSY*001)||Yes|
|Human Growth & Development (PSY*012)||Yes|
|Nutrition (NTR*015 or NTR*040)||Yes|
|Biology (BIO*001A, 004)||No|
|Chemistry (CHM*001A, 002, 012A, 030A)||No|
|Community Health Worker (NCH*001CW, 002CW, 003CW)||No|
|English Composition (ENG*001A)||No|
|Health Occupations Bootcamp (HOC*001A)||No|
|Health & Lifestyles (HOC*006)||No|
|Intro Community Health Worker (HOC*005)||No|
|Math for Health Occupations (HOC*905)||No|
|Medical Terminology (HOC*001)||No|
- The application packet must be submitted with ALL supporting documents, including
- If completed course work is not listed under course listing on application, credit for course will not be given. If accepted official transcripts will be required.
- Proof of High School completion or equivalent High School diploma or transcripts,
or GED certification, or proof of a college degree from a U.S. college, or official
evaluation for foreign education.
- All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by the International Education Research
Foundation www.ierf.org or World Education Services www.wes.org or International Evaluation
Service www.iescaree.com, a credential evaluation service for determining U.S. equivalency.
- If a foreign degree was earned, the evaluation must state its equivalency to a U.S. degree by official evaluation.
- All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by the International Education Research Foundation www.ierf.org or World Education Services www.wes.org or International Evaluation Service www.iescaree.com, a credential evaluation service for determining U.S. equivalency.
- Course Descriptions If any course work is completed from a college other than West
Valley/Mission College you must include a copy of the course description from the
college where course work was completed.
- The same standard of WASC accreditation must be met by courses accepted for college credit.
- Copy of License(s) and/or Certification(s) Include a copy of CNA certificate and any other health care license or certifications earned.
- Proof of employment in the Health Care field Include a letter from employer stating years of employment or recent payroll receipt confirming current employment.
Once Accepted into Program
- The student must attend a mandatory in-person orientation course on Wednesday, December 6, 2023 from 8 am to 4:40 pm.
- Information will be provided regarding the requirements of the program, including
but not limited to:
- Health requirements, background checks, fingerprinting, uniforms, skills bags, and ATI online complete program/deadlines.
- Complete health requirements:
- Physical exam, titer levels, 2 step TB test, current Tdap booster and COVID-19 vaccination-including booster.
- Background check and required urine drug screening
- Background screening and urine drug screening are mandated by clinical facilities and must be completed prior to student’s clinical experience. Students will be given instructions for completing the screening processes.
- Please note: If a Mission College Health Occupations student is denied access to a clinical site by the clinical agency based on information obtained during the screening process, the student will not be able to continue in the program.
- The student must be able to perform the essential requirements of the program with or without reasonable accommodations for disability.