CalWORKs is the "California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids program". We are a federal, state and county funded program serving low-income students parenting at least one child under the age of 18.
CalWORKs at Mission College works in collaboration with Santa Clara County Department of Social Services, the Adult Education Centers and Cal-Learn programs.
CalWORKs provides educational support and community resources to help students earn a certificate, degree or transfer and to eventually be placed in and retain family supporting employment. Students currently served are those who meet CalWORKs or TANF criteria.
CalWorks Supportive Services
- Book vouchers.
- Educational counseling.
- Priority registration.
- On-campus and community resource referrals.
- Program assistance with county case workers.
- CalWORKs on-campus work study employment.
Counseling services include assistance with welfare-to-work plans, educational plans and 20, 30, or 35 hour weekly schedules. We provide coordinated referrals to both on-campus and community resources such as:
- Catholic Charities.
- CalWORKs housing support.
- Next Door Solutions.
In addition, CalWORKs offers on-campus work study positions in collaboration with other departments.
Mission offers a number of services for students in need, see Mission Cares for details.
By Using CalWORKs Services I will:
- Determine an educational goal and outline an educational plan.
- Demonstrate job readiness skills through on-campus or off-campus employment.
- Successfully complete the program as defined by the Santa Clara County Department of Social Services.