CalWORKs is the "California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids program". We are a federal, state and county funded program serving low-income students parenting at least one child under the age of 18. CalWORKs at Mission College works in collaboration with Santa Clara County Department of Social Services, the Adult Education Centers and Cal-Learn programs.
CalWORKs provides educational support and community resources to help students earn a certificate, degree or transfer and to eventually be placed in and retain family supporting employment. Students currently served are those who meet CalWORKs or TANF criteria.
Supportive Services include:
• Book vouchers
• Educational counseling
• Priority registration
• On-campus and community resource referrals
• Program assistance with county case workers
• CalWORKs on-campus work study employment
Students interested in further information are encouraged to call the CalWORKs office at (408) 855-5228 or stop by SEC 144.
Counseling services include assistance with welfare-to-work plans, educational plans and 20, 30 or 35 hour weekly schedules. We provide coordinated referrals to both on-campus and community resources such as: Catholic Charities, CalWORKs housing support and Next Door Solutions. In addition, CalWORKs offers on-campus work study positions in collaboration with other departments.
Mission offers a number of services for students in need, see our Mission Cares page for details.
By using CalWORKs services I will:
- Determine an educational goal and outline an educational plan
- Demonstrate job readiness skills through on-campus or off-campus employment
- Successfully complete the program as defined by the Santa Clara County Department of Social Services
Thank you for visiting CalWORKs!