Registered Nursing (LVN-RN) Program
The Registered Nursing (LVN-RN) Program is an impacted program and requires a separate application - we may have more qualified applicants than space allows.
- Application period is February 20, 2024, 10 a.m. through March 18, 2024, 4 p.m. (no late applications will be accepted)
- Applicants will be notified by email by Monday, April 15, 2024 of their acceptance status (information regarding an application or applicant standing will not be given out by email or phone)
- Mandatory Orientation for accepted students is Friday, May 3, 2024 and Saturday, May 4, 2024 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Admission Selection Process
Cohort selection from the eligible pool:
- 1/3 applicants with the highest overall GPA from the eligible applicant pool.
- 1/3 random selection from the eligible applicant pool who are Mission College Licensed Vocational Nursing graduates.
- 1/3 random selection from the remaining eligible applicant pool.
Admission Not Guaranteed
Admission is not guaranteed even if all requirements are met.
Completition of Science Prerequisites
Online or virtual lab courses are acceptable for this application period ONLY IF taken during the pandemic through the 2020 and 2021 Academic years, and the Spring 2022 Academic term.
How to Apply
ALL of the following must be met in order to be eligible to APPLY to the Registered Nursing (LVN-RN) Program:
- Active California Vocational Nursing License in good standing.
- Overall cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 for all college coursework.
- Completion of the following SCIENCE PREREQUISITES with a combined G.P.A. of 2.5 with
no grade less than "C" for each course and no more than one repetition for a substandard
grade in any one of the 3 courses (no course recency/time limitation):
- Human Anatomy (BIO*047), 5 semester Units or equivalent **
- Human Physiology (BIO*048), 5 semester units or equivalent **
- Microbiology (BIO*004), 5 semester units or equivalent **
** Equivalent courses must be comparable to Mission College’s BIO*047, 048 and 004 in content and delivery. Online or virtual lab courses are NOT acceptable. Course descriptions are required if completed outside of West Valley Mission College District.
- Completion of the following PREREQUISITES with a grade of C or better:
- English Composition (ENG*001A), 3 semester units or equivalent
- Satisfactory score on the ADN or BSN TEAS 7 Test. First attempt score of 62% is the minimum score accepted. Proof of remediation is required if you have taken the TEAS 7 examination more than once because of a substandard cut score.
- Additional BRN Requirement:
- COM*001 Public Speaking
- MAT*000C Intermediate Algebra or MAT*010 Statistics
- PSY*001 OR PSY*012 (General Psychology OR Human Growth and Development)
Unofficial electronic transcripts for the 2024-2025 application period will be accepted from each college and university attended, including Mission College (including all college courses, prerequisites, general education and Vocational Nursing Program). (Students conditionally accepted into the program MUST provide official electronic transcripts of ALL schools attended by deadline as noted in the conditionally acceptance letter.)
Transcripts of students will also be accepted from National Clearinghouse https://www.studentclearinghouse.org/
All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by the International Education Research Foundation www.ierf.org or World Education Services www.wes.org or International Evaluation Service www.iescaree.com, a credential evaluation service for determining U.S. equivalency.
If a foreign degree was earned or program required course was taken, the evaluation must state its equivalency to a U.S. degree or course by official evaluation.
Application and Selection Process
Applicant Conditions For Eligibility
- Complete the online application. Incomplete or unsigned application packages will not be considered.
- Comply with requirements and deadlines and submit a complete application package.
- All supporting documents must be submitted within the online application as noted in the online application instructions.
- Maintain currency and accuracy of file, including: Name, address, email, and/or telephone number changes, and transcripts (updated to include courses completed after applying that are not pre-requirements).
- Online GPA Calculator
- Link to Mission College online application
- Mission College Student ID number required on application
- Copy of Mission College Student photo ID required upon program enrollment
- Student must apply for Summer/Fall 2024 term through CCCApply at: https://www.opencccapply.net/gateway/apply?cccMisCode=492
Our affiliating clinical agencies have requirements mandating that a background investigation must be completed prior to student clinical experience. This background check will include the following: criminal history record search, SSN trace, Medicare/Medicaid fraud, and Nationwide Sex Offender Registry.
Once accepted into the Registered Nursing (LVN-RN) Program, students will be given instructions for completing the background investigation. Students are responsible for the cost of their background investigation.
Please note: If a Mission College Nursing Student is denied access to clinical site by the clinical agency based on information obtained during the background check, the student will be unable to continue in the LVN-RN Program.
Denial of Licensure
The California Board of Registered Nursing may deny a license regulated by the Business and Professional Code, Section 480, on such grounds as: being convicted of a crime, acts of dishonesty, fraud, or deceit.
For applicants who are notified that they have been accepted for enrollment into the program, there are two additional requirements.
- Health Requirements: Applicants selected for enrollment in the program must have physical examination, laboratory tests, and immunizations just prior to starting the Nursing Program. The student must be free from communicable diseases, infections, and must be able to perform the essential requirements of the program with or without reasonable accommodations for disability.
- Vaccination and/or weekly COVID testing maybe required.
- Orientation Session - Mandatory!!
Policy Guidelines for Military Personnel Program Admission
Individuals who have held Military Health Care Occupations, specifically: Basic Medical Technician Corpsman (Navy HM or Air Force BMTCP), Army Health Care Specialist (68W Army Medic) or Air Force Independent Duty Medical Technician (IMDT 4N0X1C) may choose between two acceptance options at Mission College Health Occupations Programs.
Student Information Documents--2022-2023 Year Students
(For students conditionally accepted into the program and alternates.)
Note: The following documents will be discussed during orientation and may still be revised so do not fill out until after orientation.
- Cover Sheet and Checklist
- Admission Data Sheet form
- Agreement to Stay form
- Background Check Statement of Acknowledgement and Understanding/Release of Liability form
- Physician Letter and Physical Examination form
- California Immunization Record (for students 21 years or younger)
- Immunization Waiver form
- Licensure Denial form
- Student Personal Data General Release form
- Program Waiver/Release of Liability form
- Simulation Laboratory Confidentiality Agreement and Release form
- Student Acknowledgement of Patient Confidentiality
- Student Letter of Understanding Agreement form
- TB Surveillance
- Student Handbook Certificate of Understanding and Agreement form
Alternate TEAS Testing Locations open to the Public
- Register for the TEAS through www.atitesting.com.