First 5’s Child Development Apprenticeship Program
If you are interested in working with young children, gain the opportunity to acquire
your Associate Teacher permit (12 ECE units) through our pilot program. The apprenticeship
has space for 25 students.
If you are interested, apply through Santa Clara County Quality Matters.
- Free college coursework and books.
- Apprentices take courses together as a group in a community-based location.
- Courses are provided at convenient times.
- Mentoring and professional training included.
- Tutoring and other support.
- CHD001: Child Growth and Development
- CHD002: Child, Family, Community
- CHD026: Introduction to Curriculum
- CHD016: Infant Toddler Development
- At least 18 years of age.
- An interest in working with young children.
- Able to work a minimum of 20 hours per week.
- Available to take courses on weekday evenings or Saturday mornings and participate in tutoring.
- Do NOT currently hold an Associate Teacher permit.
- Have NOT already completed ANY of the four courses offered by the Apprenticeship program, including: Child Growth and Development; Introduction to Curriculum; Child, Family, and Community; and Infants and Toddlers.
- Able to complete community college coursework in English, with support.
- Meet basic physical requirements, fingerprinting, and background check.
- TB clearance and proof of immunization (including COVID-19 vaccine.)
- Have the necessary documents to work in the United States.