Tropical Ecology Lab (BIOSC30L)
A one unit Spring 2018 class offered by Mission College where students experience tropical ecology first hand in the rainforests of Costa Rica.
In this introductory level class, students carry out research methods that ecologists use to observe and investigate tropical ecosystems. This lab course may be taken with or without BIOSC 030, Tropical Ecology.
The class travels will meet twice on campus during the Spring semester and travel to Costa Rica during Spring Break, March 24-31, 2018. Students will have the opportunity to skywalk above the rainforest canopy, bird watch, visit a butterfly farm, and take night hikes to see and hear the amazing rainforest after dark.
This class is transferrable as a lab and satisfies General Education requirements, has no pre-requisites and can be taken as Pass/No Pass.
Program Cost: $1025* (LAND ONLY)
- Payment due with application $500
- Final payment due February 10, 2018 $525
Airfare will be due at the time of booking and will be non-refundable. Cost of airfare will be determined at time of booking (airfare estimated to be between $900-$1000).
- After December 9, the cancellation is $500 per person for the land portion, airfare is non-refundable.
- From February 11 – March 24, the cancellation fee is $500 plus any non-recoverable amounts (i.e. airfare if tickets have been issued). On and after the day of departure, there is no refund. Programs and meal refunds are left strictly to the discretion of the providers in Costa Rica.
The Program Price will include:
• Roundtrip, economy class airfare from San Francisco, CA to San Jose, Costa Rica
• Shared room at the Hotel Brilla Sol, Ecolodge San Luis Biological Station, and two nights at a homestay; meals included
• Transfers to and from San Jose, Costa Rica airport
• All activities as detailed in the itinerary
• ISIC Card with basic insurance coverage
• Services of Direct Travel
The Program Price will not include:
• Mission College tuition and fees
• Textbooks and instructional materials
• Personal expenses and any item not listed as included in the program price
• Two meals during travel days
Contact Jean Replicon BIOSC30L Instructor