What is a prerequisite?
A prerequisite is a class or skill that is required before you can enroll into another class. For example, ENG 001A is a prerequisite for ENG 001B. This means you need a grade of “P” or "C" or better in ENG 001A to enter ENG 001B.
Prerequisites for each course can be found in the Mission College Catalog at https://missioncollege.edu/catalog/catalog.html or by selecting View Catalog Entry in the course search.
Before submitting your Prerequisite Clearance Form:
- When submitting transcripts, please make sure your file(s) show your name and the
school name, or it will require additional time to process. During peak registration
periods, processing can take up to 48 - 72 business hours after initial submission.
- In progress coursework or pending exam scores cannot be used to clear prerequisites.
- You will be emailed responses of your evaluation to your mywvm.wvm.edu email and/or personal email you provide in the form. For help with your WVM email, go to
the Portal information page, or contact the Welcome Center. The Welcome Center Ambassadors speak many languages and can help you.
- This form will only clear you for Mission College courses. If you wish to take a West
Valley course, you will need to contact West Valley College.
- Approved submissions will only clear you for enrollment in the course for which the prerequisite course is needed. To gain transfer credit for external coursework or AP/CLEP exams, you must also submit official documentation to the Admissions and Records Office. Visit https://missioncollege.edu/depts/articulation/external_credit.html for more information about the use of external coursework and exams.
Methods to clear prerequisites:
High School Coursework
Appropriate high school coursework can clear some prerequisite courses. See more information about what high school courses can clear prerequisite courses.
Coursework Taken at Other Colleges
A course taken at another college which is equivalent to the Mission College prerequisite course for a course you wish to enroll in, may be used to clear the prerequisite. If you believe you have taken a course equivalent to the Mission College course which serves as a prerequisite, upload your unofficial transcript into the form. If the course is not on our preapproved course equivalency lists, your submission will be sent forward to the appropriate academic department for further review.
In progress coursework from other colleges cannot be used to clear prerequisites
AP/CLEP Exam Credit
If you have exam scores for which you will be awarded credit for a prerequisite class, you may upload your exam score record to have the prerequisite cleared. See more information on what courses can be cleared and the necessary test scores to clear them.
Knowledge or Skills Acquired through Alternate Means
A student who believes they have acquired the knowledge or skills of the prerequisite course through means other than an equivalent course or an exam, can submit explanation and/or documentation for consideration of a waiver of the prerequisite course. Your submission will be forwarded to the appropriate academic department for review.
Challenge a Prerequisite
Students may also challenge the application or requirement of a prerequisite. Basis for a challenge is established via WVMCCD Board Policy and California