The ESL Placement Process
To Enroll in Noncredit ESL Courses
Students with beginning English skills who want to take our noncredit courses, NCE 910, NCE 920, or NCE 930 level classes DO NOT need to complete the ESL Placement Process.
If you are unsure whether you should take credit or noncredit courses, please see this information sheet. Viewing and considering the entire ESL course sequence may also help you identify the right place for you.
To Enroll in Credit ESL Courses
New ESL students who wish to take for credit courses, ESL 940 or above, MUST complete the placement process.
Before completing the placement process students must:
- Apply online at MissionCollege.edu.
- Receive a Mission College Student ID number before completing the required online ESL Placement Process.
- Activate your WVM email and wait for their emailed results. For help with your WVM email, go to the Portal information page or contact the Welcome Center. The Welcome Center Ambassadors speak many languages and can help you.
What do I have to do when completing the ESL Placement Process?
The ESL Placement Process will take about an hour. You will read, write, and answer questions about what you can do in English now. There are three parts:
- You will read and suggest the reading level that is right for you.
- You will think about what you can do now listening and speaking in English. You will suggest the listening and speaking level that is right for you.
- You will write for 30 minutes on a specific topic. You will suggest the writing level that is right for you.
When you are finished, ESL instructors will look at your writing and your suggestions, then place you into your ESL courses. You will receive your ESL Placement results in two to three (2-3) business days. Your results will be emailed to your WVM email address.
For questions about your placement results, contact the Assessment Center.
More information about our ESL programs are at esl.missioncollege.edu.