All students with a goal of a degree or transfer and seeking ESL instruction, have a right to access for-credit academic ESL courses.
Enroll in ESL Courses for Credit
If you want to take credit and/or non-credit ESL courses, ESL 940 or above, you MUST complete the placement process.
Noncredit vs Credit ESL Courses
We also offer noncredit beginning English as a Second Language courses for beginning speakers who want to improve their English skills. Students with beginning English skills who want to take our noncredit courses, NCE 910, NCE 920, or NCE 930, do not need to complete the ESL Placement Process. Viewing the entire ESL course sequence may also help you
- Intermediate and advanced levels.
- Academic language skills for college and career.
- Prepares students for success in other courses at the college.
- Beginning levels.
- Basic language skills for daily life and the workplace.
- Prepares students for credit ESL courses.
Before Taking Your ESL Placement Assessment
- Apply to Mission College online at Apply.MissionCollege.edu.
- Receive a Mission College Student ID number before completing the required online ESL Placement Process.
What Does the Placement Process Involve?
The ESL placement process will take about an hour. You will read, write, and answer questions about what you can do in English now. There are three parts: reading questions, listening/speaking questions, and a writing portion.
When you are finished, ESL instructors will look at your selections, then recommend where you should start in ESL courses. You will receive your ESL Placement results in two to three business days.Your results will be emailed to your email address (both district and personal email addresses.)