Phone: (408) 855-5298
Office Location: MT-11H
Joan Powers started teaching ESL at Mission College in 1987 and went full-time in 1989. She has taught most of the ESL courses over the past 25 years and enjoys teaching students at all levels.
Joan helped create the Global Studies program and the International Students Center on campus and endeavored to provide study abroad opportunities for students, staff and faculty.
In addition to Mission College, Joan has extensive and varied teaching experience including Stanford University, State of Bahrain Ministry of Education, Indiana University, and the University of California, Riverside.
- MA, University of California, Riverside
- BA, University of Illinois, Champaign-Ubana
- Amauta Language School (Spanish) Manu, Peru
- Excel Language School (Spanish) Cusco, Peru
- Instituto de Comunicacion y Cultura (Spanish) Oaxaca, Mexico
- University of Vienna, Austria
- Pedagogische Akadamie, Baden, Austria
- ESL Global Issues Global Perspectives Global Economy
Awards, Honors, and Professional Memberships
- 2000 National Institute for Staff and Organization Development Award (NISOD)
- 2000 Fulbright-Hays Seminar Abroad Participant, Summer 2000
- 1999-pres. International Student Union Faculty Advisor
- 1999-2000 Social Dancing Club Faculty Advisor
- 2000 Vietnamese Student Association Faculty Advisor
- 1999-2000 Vice-President, North, California Colleges for Global Education (CCIE)
- 1999 Academic Senate Award for Contribution to the College Excellence
- 1998-2000 USDE Title VI recipient and grant director to develop Global Education Program.
- 1998-2000 Coordinator for CA State Fund for Student Success-Global Networking Grant
- 1996 National Institute for Staff and Organization Development Award (NISOD)
- 1995 Faculty Member of the Year Award given by the Associated Students Body
- 1984-85 Fulbright Scholar, English Language Advisor to the State of Bahrain
The world is the ultimate classroom. Go explore it.