Coming to Campus? Fill Out Our Form First.
- Every time anyone is on campus, they must take the self screening assessment for COVID.
- More Info on how Mission is handling Covid-19 is located at covid.missioncollege.edu.
Coming to Campus? Fill Out Our Form First. Every time anyone is on campus, they must take the self screening assessment for COVID. More Info on how Mission is handling Covid-19 is located at covid.missioncollege.edu.
Pharmacy Technician Program
note: Mission College Pharmacy technician does not offer an AS/AA degree. Pharmacy Technician offers a certificate of completion.
What's New for 2021
- Day Session Starts August 30, 2021
- Becoming an essential worker
- Get your foot in the door to the healthcare field
- New Hybrid class schedule with online and in person lab
- Low Instructor to Student ratio
- Replay of Facebook Live Presentation with former student Natalie Buccholz (now at USC)
- PDF of Presentation
- Summer PharmTech Facebook Live Presentation with former students Ranbir Kahlon and Lyli Do
LEARN ABOUT THE PHARMA INDUSTRY
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
Talk to Jessica or Noori about an exciting career by clicking here to request a followup meeting.
A career as a pharm tech leads to working in not only places like Walgreens and CVS, but also pharmacies at hospitals, compounding, long-term care facilities and nursing homes.
Day and evening classes available for our accelerated programs.
START YOUR NEW CAREER
Classes begin again August 30, 2021
Mission College is proud to offer an accelerated evening or day pharmacy technician program which is PTCB approved and designed for those who wish to qualify for the California State Board of Pharmacy Technician Licensing.
- Schedule and Tuition
- Requirements & Registration
- Pharmacy Tech Classes
- Job Placement
- Frequently Asked Questions
Information Sessions will now be provided via Zoom presentation.
*ConferZoom meeting access is provided at above link "information meeting". Please watch the video and if you are interested in applying for the program please complete an application and set up a virtal meeting with one of our program directors.
Information on the Program
- We are very excited to announce our new Hybrid 80/20 program which will provide online
distance & hands on learning providing convenience and flexibility for our students.
- This 30-week intensive program takes a very practical approach to pharmacy training,
and is designed to prepare graduates for work in one of many pharmacy settings in
short period of time.
- The program is excellent for recent high school graduates, college students, ex-healthcare
workers, those looking for a career change, and any one who wants entry into the pharmacy
or health fields.
- The curriculum is written by pharmacists, and classes are taught by both pharmacists
and certified pharmacy technicians practicing in all areas of pharmacy.
- Students will receive 400 contact hours that include class and lab instruction, tutoring
and workshop sessions, externship experiential training in a pharmacy.
- Graduates of the training program will receive a Certificate of Completion and eligibility
for licensure (registration) by the CA State Board of Pharmacy.
- We are a PTCB approved program
Evening Classes Start in February. Day Classes Start in August
Sampling of Courses Offered
Hands-on course work in Inpatient and Hospital Pharmacy Practice
The role of a pharmacy technician is to assist the pharmacist in activities related to drug dispensing. Pharmacy technicians must understand how pharmacy operations in hospital and institutional settings function such as their use of aseptic techniques, preparation of parenterals, proper handling of hazardous agents, unit dose repacking, floor stock, and crash carts. Students will understand formulary drugs, common universal precautions to avoid contamination.
Hands-on course work with IV and Compounding Practice
For the purposes of this class, students will learn the actual hands-on tasks directly related to filling and compounding prescription medications. This is a hands on class that will teach you the fundamentals of compounding calculations, packaging & preparation. This is a hand on class and students will enjoy making various creations!
Medical Terminology and Abbreviations
Pharmacy has its own special language, and pharmacy technicians need to be familiar with the abbreviations and symbols used to describe drugs, dosage forms, amounts, administrations, and any other essential information on prescriptions. In this section, students will learn: (1) word structure (2) general terms and concepts of physiology/pharmacology (3) abbreviations and symbols used in prescriptions, medication orders, and other clinical documentation. Students will learn through class discussions, activities, homework, and assigned readings.
Pharmacy Calculations WorkshopCourse designed to teach the essential mathematical concepts and skills used on the job by pharmacy technicians. Basic mathematical skills are reinforced by performing drug dose calculations and drug preparations. Students will receive intensive practice in pharmacy math calculations, conversions, measurements, and applications of equations used in calculating dosages, preparing solutions, and determining inventory and profit margins.
Pharmacology Top 200 Drugs; Brand and Generic
This course presents the basic principles of pharmacology. Emphasis is on defining pharmacological classes of drugs, explaining the use of medication, and drug therapy.
The student will learn what drugs are used for, cautions to observe in their use, side effects, drug interactions, contra-indications, etc. In addition, students will learn to read drug labels & package inserts, and the trade and generic names of 200 commonly prescribed medications.