Messaging Sent to Faculty
Services for Students
From the Marketing Office
Our Welcome Center Ambassadors have tips for students to start the semester, you can find them here: http://welcome.missioncollege.edu
We have begun to welcome our new students to the Fall semester, posting Welcome Ambassador videos at http://welcome.missioncollege.edu and promoting our many workshops at http://events.missioncollege.edu . Please share with your students.
Paying for College
Please communicate out to students that there are a number of ways to reduce their bills and include:
- Financial assistance (http://resources.missioncollege.edu )
- Financial Aid and the steps to get Financial Aid: https://missioncollege.edu/student_services/financial_aid/application_process.html
- The Mission Promise program (https://missioncollege.edu/student_services/financial_aid/scholarships/mission-promise.html)
- The California Promise Grant (https://missioncollege.edu/student_services/financial_aid/scholarships/mission-promise.html)
- NelNet payment plan (https://missioncollege.edu/student_services/financial_aid/pay_for_college/payment-plans.html
Admissions & Records
Welcome to fall 2020. I hope this finds you and your family well and safe.
The information below is intended to assist as you prepare for the coming term.
Short term courses
For dates associated with short-term courses, such as P/NP date deadlines, if applicable, withdrawal deadlines, etc., refer to the Fall 2020 Important Course Dates attachment.You will also find this attachment at Mission College Calendars and Important Dates next week.
- The first day for Saturday classes is Saturday, August 29, 2020.
- The first day of Monday – Friday classes is Monday, August 31, 2020.
- Add codes will be generated Wednesday, August 26,
- Add codes will not become active until the first day of
- Students can add a course via their My Mission Portal by using an add code through Sunday, September 13, 2020.
- Students needing extra assistance adding into a class can submit a completed Registration Add-Drop Form to firstname.lastname@example.org for processing.
- Students added to courses after the beginning of the term will have access to Canvas on the following day.
- The deadline for a student to drop, or for an instructor to drop a student without academic history recorded and to receive a full refund is Sunday, September 13, 2020.
- Students that drop or are dropped after census will receive a “W” and will not be eligible for a
- Friday, November 20, 2020 is the deadline for a student to drop or be dropped from a full-term course with a “W.” Neither a student or faculty member can drop a student after this deadline; a final grade is
Census rosters can be submitted starting Friday September 11, 2020 through 11:59 PM, Monday, September 14, 2020.
- ONLY students enrolled/participating in your courses should be on your census
- Review your rosters and drop any student(s) as needed.
- To add students complete and submit the Registration Add-Drop Form including the Add Code from your district issued email account Nitha Vasquez at email@example.com.
Late census rosters
- Census rosters not submitted by the census submission deadline are to be submitted immediately after the
- Late census rosters require signatures of both the instructor of record and respective division
- Late census rosters, indicating any drops, are to be routed via DocuSign for instructor and dean signatures, with a copy sent to Nitha Vasquez in Admissions & See the attached “Getting to and Using DocuSign” handout for guidance on how to access DocuSign.
- For assistance with census submissions contact:
Post Census Adds
- Late adds after census are to be submitted electronically via DocuSign, using this suggested process:
Auditing a class
- Students can register to audit a class for fall 2020 starting on September 15, 2020.
- A student must receive the instructor’s written permission to
- Auditing a course allows the student to be an observer and not a participant in the
- Concurrent Enrollment/high school students are not allowed to audit Mission courses.
Pass/No Pass Option
- The deadline for students to submit the P/NP Grade Option Form for full-term courses is Thursday, October 1, 2020.
- Faculty are required to submit a letter grade for each student enrolled in their courses unless the course is being taken as a P/NP course.
- The “W” or Withdrawal rosters are due on Wednesday, November 18, 2020.
- Faculty are to clean up their rosters and drop any students that have stopped participating prior to or by this A grade notation is required for every student enrolled in the course after this date.
- Students dropped from Positive Attendance courses require both the last date of attendance and hours attended though the last date of
- Grades, and positive attendance hours, if applicable, are to be submitted electronically via the My Mission
- Instructors teaching positive attendance courses are to submit sign-in sheets, in electronic format, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Late grade submissions prevent:
- running the of end of term processes; posting grades to academic history; updating academic standing; identifying students that do not meet prerequisites for the next term; evaluating for continued financial aid eligibility, producing official transcripts for transferring students,
- Grade submission deadline for fall 2020 is January 5, 2021.
- Instructors assigning incomplete grades are to submit a completed Incomplete Grade Form with both student and instructor signatures and submit to email@example.com.
- Students are to complete the course within a year of the term when the incomplete grade is assigned. Unless the instructor submits a Grade Change Form assigning a new final grade the incomplete grade will automatically convert to an F as the final grade.
- For basic information on accessing DocuSign see the attached “Getting to and Using DocuSign” handout.
- September 13: Last day to add a full-term course with an add code. Last day a student can add into a full-term course online using an add code.
- September 13: Drop with no “W” on record, full refund Last day students can drop full- term course (s) without a “W” on record and receive a full refund.
- September 14: Census date. Faculty to electronically report enrollment in course(s) as of this Clean up roster. Drop students that have not attended.
- October 1: Deadline for student so submit P/NP grade change form
- November 20: Drop with a “W” on record. Last day students can drop full-term course (s). A “W” will appear on
December 14-19: Finals
- January 5, 2021: All grades for fall 2020 course are due.
- January 5, 2021: Incomplete grade forms
The following documents for your reference:
Phased Re-Opening / Campus Access
From Administrative Services
You can find information on our Phases to Re-Opening here
We hope you all had a great summer! As many of you know, the College restricted access to all students, staff, and faculty due to COVID-19. Over the summer the Return to Campus team has been working on procedures to access campus during the fall semester.
Attached to this email you will find our detailed procedure to access spaces on campus. A few key points to keep in mind:
- Per the Santa Clara County Public Health order, we are encouraging all employees who can work from home, to continue to work from home.
- Buildings will remain locked at this point. However, staff ID cards will still open the exterior doors to our buildings.
- Most classrooms will remain restricted. Please work with your division Dean if you would like access to one of the pre-approved classrooms for instruction.
- If you want to come to campus, you must coordinate with your direct supervisor first.
- If you are on campus a face covering, that covers your nose and mouth, must be worn.
- Do not come to campus if you are sick or showing signs or symptoms of COVID-19
Please review the attached procedures for more detailed information.
You can direct any questions about campus access to firstname.lastname@example.org
Aug. 25 on Flex Week
From Leandra Martin / Instruction
Welcome to Flex week Fall 2020!
I want to express how impressed I am with Mission College Faculty! Despite the pandemic, despite the fires and smoke and the devastating impact has had on many Mission College faculty and staff and their families and despite the social unrest and the news of yet another unnecessary shooting of a black man at the hands of police, faculty members are still rallying to meet the needs of our students.
Thank you for your patience and persistence as we enter this very unusual Flex Week for Fall 2020 .
How is FLEX week going to work this year?
Some of you have been attending trainings all summer that will apply for FLEX Day credit. Some of you will also be attending additional sessions this week through Friday August 28.
Please sign up for FLEX Day events this week through the Vision Resource Center (VRC). To get to the Vision Resource Center, go into your Mission College Portal and Click on Vision Resource Center. On the top row (it is green) click on “Learning”. In the pull down menu select “Workshop Calendar”. The events with the prefix “MCFLEX” are MC Flex Day events. Please note the calendar also includes West Valley events and other events that will not qualify for Mission College Flex day credit.
Please fill out the FLEX Day Reporting Form (link below) after the training/FLEX Day activities have been completed. Please submit the form by Monday August 31, 2020 in order to be paid in the September paycheck. Check/enter the FLEX Day Sessions attended. There is also a space to enter any alternate Flex day activities that have been preapproved by your dean. Press “submit” and this form will be sent to Mission College HR.
Full Time Faculty will receive credit for their 6 hours of traditional Flex Day obligation. They will be paid for the required additional 6 hours of FLEX Day (approved for Fall 2020 only) in their September paycheck. We will be verifying attendance, as required, to meet the CCCCO Flex Day regulations.
Part Time Faculty will be paid for the number of hours, up to 12, that they enter on this form. The pay should be in included in their September paycheck. We will be verifying attendance, as required, to meet the CCCCO Flex Day regulations.