ALPHA stands for "ARETE" meaning"EXCELLENCE"
GAMMA stands for "GNOSIS" meaning"KNOWLEDGE"
SIGMA stands for "SOPHROSYNE" meaning"WISDOM"
The purpose of this organization is to foster, promote, maintain, and recognize scholarship.
The function of the state organization is to encourage local chapters to develop, in themselves or in cooperation with other chapters, programs offering cultural social or enrichment experiences as a part of the total experience of community college students.
The state organization annually awards scholarships to members, and also encourages chapters to provide opportunities for participation in service activities and to award scholarships of their own.
Meetings: Mondays at 3:00 PM in CC 219/220
Sneak Peak into the past 2013 AGS Statewide Spring Conference
How to Join:
To be a member of AGS at Mission College
- Student must be enrolled in classes at Mission College
- Turn in a membership application (Found on OrgSync!) along with
- A copy of your unofficial transcript and class schedule
- Pay the membership fee (Only $15 per semester!)
- Volunteer a minimum of 25 hours per semester
Applications for membership must be turned in by the third week of the semester with payment of dues, or when the club indicates otherwise.
- Student needs to have completed 12 semester (or quarter equivalent) units
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Be currently enrolled at Mission College with a minimum of five units
- Be a life member of the “California Scholarship Federation”
- Students who graduated from High School with a minimum GPA of 3.5
- Having been a member in a previous semester
- Being currently enrolled in a minimum of five units at Mission College
- Maintaining a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
Permanent & Alumnus Membership
- Completed a minimum of 60 semester (or quarter equivalent) units
- Must be currently enrolled at Mission College
- Be a member of the Sigma Iota Chapter
- Pay dues at the time of application
- Must meet one of the following requirements:
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher and have been an active member of AGS for at
least one semester
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher and have been an active member of AGS for at least two semesters
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher and have been an active member of AGS for at least one semester