VITA Tax Program
Mission College has partnered with the Internal Revenue Service in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. IRS-certified student volunteers provide FREE basic income tax return preparation to qualified individuals & families who earned $55,000 or less for tax filing year 2018.
Our Students (and ACC 53 A-B-C courses)
Types of students who frequently enroll in the VITA series of classes at Mission are:
- Considering accounting as a field of study,
- Considering tax preparation as a career,
- Interested in gaining work experience,
- Interested in community service,
- Looking to add a respected program to their resume,
- Interested in learning a new skill, meeting new people, and helping their community.
No previous tax experience is required to enroll in the VITA class.
In ACC 053A, the VITA Training class at Mission College, you will learn how to:
- Prepare a basic Federal and California individual income tax return
- Determine applicability of certain tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, and Educational Credits.
- Use commercial tax software to prepare tax returns
- Communicate with colleagues and community members and
- Understand the important role of VITA volunteers in our society.
After completing the tax training class in VITA I (ACC 053A), students shall continue on by registering in VITA II (ACC 053B) where they will prepare returns for students and community members during February, March, and April.
After students have completed the program once, they may register for VITA III (ACC 053C) which develops leadership skills and focuses on more complex tax situations.
Mission College has partnered with the Internal Revenue Service in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. IRS-certified student volunteers provide FREE basic income tax return preparation to qualified individuals & families who earned $56,000 or less for tax filing year 2019.
Hours & Location
Our tax site is open Fridays 9:00 -11:00am in the Gillmor Center Room-219 at Mission College (3000 Mission College Blvd., Santa Clara). Please note that the site will be closed February 15 and April 5 in observance of holidays and spring break closure. This site is first-come, first-served with no appointments. Taxpayers are encouraged to park in Lot C or D with this parking pass download.
What to Bring
Please bring all required items, without these documents the site may be unable to assist you.
- Proof of identification (photo ID) for each adult on tax return
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- W-2s from all jobs held in 2018
- All 1099s, 1098s and any other tax forms
- List of calculated self-employment expenses
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Your household’s health coverage information (Health Coverage Statements: Forms 1095-A, B or C)
- Child care provider information, if any (total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number)
- Landlord’s name, address and phone number for CA Renter’s Credit
- Last year’s tax return (optional)
- Savings and checking account numbers, as well as routing number for direct deposit of refund
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
For a list of the other VITA locations in the bay area please visit Find Tax Help Now.
Foreign StudentsPlease note that foreign students require specialized assistance not currently offered at our VITA site. There is free assistance for you! Please view the list for foreign student assistance at http://earnitkeepitsaveit.org/foreign-student/
StudentsThis VITA Program is staffed entirely of student volunteers. Therefore, your patience is appreciated as our volunteers learn and try to assist you in this process.
Please contact the Faculty Advisor for this location, Teresa Thompson, at 408-855-5349 (or firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Students interested in being part of this program, enroll in ACC 053A or contact Teresa Thompson at email@example.com