link Frequently Asked Questions
Mission Valley College logo.

Virtual Mission: We might be closed, but we are open online to serve you. Details and Resources Here.

Frequently Asked Questions

student looking down at book outside

Frequently Asked Questions - Financial Aid

How do I get my aid?

A: Once you have submitted all supplemental paperwork requested by the Financial Aid Office and registered for classes you will receive your Refund Selection Kit (letter in the mail from BankMobile). If you do not receive it you can visit the to request one. To check your Financial Aid status, go to My Mission Portal. For more information about Bankmobile, visit this link:

When do I get my aid?

A: After you have submitted all your required documents to the financial aid office your file will be reviewed and an award letter will be issued. The review process can take 4-6 weeks. Documents are reviewed based on the date they have been submitted. At the disbursement date, funds disbursed to you will be applied to your student account. Please go to Financial Aid to pay any outstanding balance you may have and the remaining balance will be deposited to your selected refund preference with BankMobile. For more information about BankMobile, visit this link:
Be aware that during peak periods it may take as long as 6 - 8 weeks to process your documents.

 What’s my application status?

A: After submitting your application, you should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the processor through an email. The SAR will list all of the information you put on your application. This information also is forwarded to the colleges you indicated to receive copies of the information. Once the colleges receive the information and verify it with any additional documents you submitted that they requested you will be notified of your aid eligibility. To check your Financial Aid status, go to My Mission Portal. Students can receive federal and certain state student aid funds at only one campus per enrollment period.

Who can apply?

A: Everyone is encouraged to apply. Financial Aid is made available to assist students and families in meeting the costs of a postsecondary education. If you believe you will need assistance in meeting those costs, you should apply for Financial Aid. Even though you may not think you qualify for aid, you should at least complete the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application. The application is free and the college uses it to assess your eligibility for some scholarships. There are qualifications for some loans.

How do I know if I need to submit any additional documents?

A: Once you have submitted your FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application, you should log in to your My Mission Portal account regularly and check your Financial Aid requirements. Keep checking back to look for your Financial Aid award or other requirements posted during the review process.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

A:  Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is the policy that helps ensure that student are moving toward successfully completing the program of study  for which they are receiving aid. If a student fails to meet the requirements for either the completed units or cumulative GPA that student may be placed on warning or disqualification. Please visit our website at to get the details of our SAP Policies.

Why am I not eligible for financial aid?

A: There can may be a variety of reasons. Some common reasons why students may not be eligible for aid is because: they do not meet the income standards determined by the federal or state granting agencies they do not meeting SAP requirements; additional documents may be pending, and much more. You should check with the Financial Aid Office for further details. If you are not eligible for need-based financial aid, options are still available.

Why do I need to pay the money back?

A: If you have a balance on your account or were notified that you need to pay money back it may be because you dropped units after receiving your aid, failling to complete courses may require that you pay back some or all of the money received.  This is referred to as R2T4

Can International Students apply for Aid?

A: International students are not eligible for the US government and California State aid programs (Pell Grant, SEOG Grant, Direct Loans, Federal Work-Study, Cal Grant, CCPG, SSRG). However, there may be scholarship opportunities available. Visit the Mission College Scholarship website for further resources.

How do I apply for a Work Study?

A: You need to select "I'm interested in work-study" when you complete your FAFSA application. You will want to do this well in advance of the academic year because Federal Work-Study is awarded on a first-come, first served basis. You will need to follow up on the internet site to view job opportunities through Work Study. If you have additional questions visit the Financial Aid Office and/or the work-study advisor as you may need to follow up with additional documentation.