link AP, CLEP, IB & DLPT - External Coursework

Advanced Placement Exams 

Mission College recognizes high achievements by students who have successfully completed one or more Advanced Placement Examinations as authorized by the College Entrance Examination Board.

Students who have successfully completed exams in the Advanced Placement Program with a score of 3, 4, or 5 may be granted credit for purposes of general education, graduation, and/or advanced placement in the College’s sequence of courses. 


  • All campuses will accept the minimum units shown if the exam is included in full or subject area certification; however, individual campuses may choose to accept more units than those specified towards completion of general education requirements. 
  • Each AP exam may be applied to one GE area satisfying one course requirement, with the exception of the IGETC Language Other Than English (LOTE) requirement. 
  • The CSU and UC Minimum Admissions Semester Units columns reflect the number of units all CSU and UC campuses will accept toward admission. 
  • Visit AP Credit Policy Search or the appropriate college website to determine use of Advanced Placement for program requirements at other colleges and universities.
  • For the most updated AP information for CSU and UC, visit CSU Advanced Placement or UC AP and Exam Credits.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP) 

Mission College awards credit for the College Level Examination Program exams with a minimum score of 50. CLEP credit can be used to meet AA/AS General Education requirements, CSU GE-B requirements and CSU elective credit. CLEP cannot be used to satisfy IGETC requirements


Please Note: If a student passes more than one CLEP exam in the same language other than English (French, German, and ish), only one exam may be applied to the baccalaureate degree. For each of these tests, a passing score of 50 is considered “Level I” and earns 6 units of admissions credit; the higher scores are considered “Level II” and earn additional admissions units and clears Area C2 of CSU GE-breadth.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

The International Baccalaureate (IB) exam assesses student work and measures students’ academic, intercultural and basic skills. Students may earn credit for IB tests with scores of 4 or higher and can be used to meet AA/AS, CSU GE-B and IGETC general education requirements. Use the chart below to find the passing score for each IB course. 


EXTERNAL EXAM NOTE: If the student duplicates an external exam with another exam of the same subject content, and/or an exam with a college course, credit may only be awarded once. For additional AP, CLEP and IB transfer policies, visit the Calfornia State University and the University of California external exam sites. 

Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) 

Using the American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations as described below, three lower division semester hours for language shall equate to three semester units (or their quarter equivalent) in CSU GE Breadth Area C2.

When assigning academic credit using the DLPT, campus articulation officers and credit transfer evaluators should refer to the ACE National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training. This ACE online guide organizes foreign language test scores and credit recommendations by language, version of test and modality of language.

The Guide then provides lower and upper division credit recommendations based on the DLPT test score in the following modalities: listening, reading, and oral. Campuses may continue to award additional GE and/or major course credit as they have done in the past.

The following documents may be accepted to award DLPT GE:

  • Official Defense Language Institute Foreign Language (DLIFLC) Transcripts
  • Official Joint Services Transcripts (JST)
  • Defence Manpower Data Center (DMDC) DLPT Examinee Results
  • DA Form 330 Language Proficiency Questionnaire

To receive unit credit, complete the Transcript Evaluation Request Form. To use these exams to satisfy a program requirement, complete the Course Substitution Form. In all cases, official transcripts must be submitted to the Admissions & Records Office at