link External Coursework & Exams
College students of various gender and ethnic backgrounds pose in a group.

Credit from Other Institutions

Students may use coursework completed at other institutions to fulfill program, general education, and/or elective unit requirements for the Associate Degree, Associate Degree for Transfer, or certificate programs at Mission College.

Table of Contents

  1. Baccalaureate & Associate Degree Holders
  2. AP, CLEP, IB & DLPT
  3. Foreign Coursework
  4. Upper-Division Credits
  5. Military Credits

Accredited Institutions

Colleges and universities must ensure the quality of their programs by adhering to specific evaluation criteria established and evaluated by private educational associations called accrediting agencies.

Mission College accepts courses from institutions accredited by the following regional agencies.

  • MSCHE - Middle States Commission on Higher Education (formerly MSA - Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools)
  • NWCCU - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (formerly NASC - Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges)
  • HLC - Higher Learning Commission (formerly NCA - North Central Association of Colleges and Schools)
  • NEASC-CIHE - New England Association of Schools and Colleges-Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
  • SACS - Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • WASC-ACCJC - Western Association of Schools and Colleges - Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
  • WASC-ACACS - Western Association of Schools and Colleges -Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities

Mission College recognizes those institutions that are either fully accredited or as listed as a candidate for accreditation as published in the Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs maintained by the U.S. Department of Education. 

Course Evaluation for General Education

Courses completed at another California Community College that are approved for an associate degree general education category, for CSU GE-B or for IGETC will be applied to the parallel general education category at Mission College regardless of whether Mission College has an equivalent course. Visit CCC Transfer to locate General Education requirements at other California Community Colleges.

General education courses completed at a regionally accredited institution will be applied to the parallel general education category at Mission College. 

In most cases, these evaluations are granted without an official request.

Reciprocity Agreement

The West Valley Mission Community College District has entered into a mutual agreement with ten other Community Colleges to accept the General Education of these colleges “as completed.” The participating colleges are Cabrillo College, Chabot College, De Anza College, Evergreen Valley College, Foothill College, Gavilan College, Hartnell College, San Jose City College, Ohlone College, Las Positas and Monterey Peninsula College.

This means that students who obtain a certification of completion of the Associate Degree General Education requirements will have both their General Education course work and graduation proficiency accepted "as completed". No additional general education course work will be required if the certification is officially presented.

However, students will still be required to complete all course or prerequisites needed for a major. The agreement also means that the other participating colleges will accept the General Education pattern of Mission if a certification is presented to the member colleges. This agreement will be review periodically.

To obtain certification of Mission College General Education, students must present a General Education Reciprocity Program Certification form to the Records Office.

Course Evaluation for Major/Program Requirements

Courses completed with a passing grade (C, P, CR or better) at a regionally accredited institution can be used to satisfy major requirements at Mission College upon approval by the appropriate Department Chair with a Course Substitution request. These are approved on a case-by-case basis. Equivalency may be determined by any one of the following:

  1. Direct articulation between Mission College and the sending institution. Indirect articulation between Mission College and other California Community Colleges based on approval of courses for the California Identification Number System (C-ID).
  2. Indirect articulation between Mission College and a sending institution determined by cross referencing additional public colleges and universities included on
    • For example, if a course under review is not approved for C-ID and Mission College does not have direct articulation with the California Community College, a CSU that maintains articulation with both Mission College and the other California Community College could be used to establish indirect articulation. 
  3. A critical evaluation of the course to verify core elements of the course including topics, course objectives, lecture and/or lab hours, and pre-/corequisites are sufficiently aligned with Mission College courses. This review will be conducted by the evaluations staff, the College’s Articulation Officer, appropriate faculty content experts and/or the appropriate department chair. 

Please Note: These approvals may not be honored at other campuses or universities so it is recommended that you work closely with a Counselor or the Articulation Officer.

Course evaluation for Elective Credit

Courses completed at a regionally accredited institution can be used to satisfy elective requirements at Mission College as long as they are associate degree or baccalaureate level. 

In all cases, to receive credit, official transcripts must be submitted to the Admissions & Records Office at