Office Location: SEC-139
Connect with Me
David Yang serves Mission College students in the Counseling Center and is multilingual in "Californian/Bay Arean", "Hmonglish", and English. He is motivated by learning, teaching, and sharing new ideas that encourage professional and personal growth.
Although David has a graduate degree, he encountered challenges that could have prevented him from succeeding. According to Dr. Victor Rios, At-Promise students already possess the tools necessary to succeed in school, but just need support and assistance to utilize those tools. David's challenges included the following:
- First-generation College Student
- Bilingual Student
- Financial aid student
- Poverty and working poor upbringing
- Attention learning challenges
- Remedial college student
- Changed majors over eight times
- M.S., Counselor Education
- California State University, Sacramento
- B.A., History/Asian-American Studies
- University of California, Santa Barbara
Privilege is an unearned advantage that is highly valued but restricted to certain groups. Everyone has some form of privilege. Acknowledging your privilege does not mean you believe you are better than others. It is a way of demonstrating gratitude for an advantage you have and acknowledging that those without the advantage experience the world differently than you do. David benefits from the following attributes.
- Has an advanced degree
- Speaks English
- Grew up with both parents present
- Grew up with siblings present
David enjoys hiking and travel. He's coached basketball for 17 years.