Information for the Mission College Community on the CoronaVirus
February 2, 2020
As you are likely aware, there is an emerging health concern regarding the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), a respiratory illness centered in Wuhan, China. Your health and safety and the safety of the entire campus is of the highest importance. Know that we are closely monitoring this situation and are working with the Santa Clara County Public Health Department to receive the latest information as it becomes available.
It is important to recognize that the health risk to Californians and to the Mission College Community, in particular, remains low. As of this writing, the Santa Clara Public Health Department has received confirmation from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control of two cases in Santa Clara County, however there are no known cases on our campus.
In order to help protect yourself against this or any other virus, there are several precautions that are recommended:
- Get a flu shot. While it will not prevent the coronavirus, influenza is currently in widespread circulation in California, and initial symptoms can be similar to novel coronavirus. Any illness right now can increase anxiety and concerns and there can be serious health concerns as the result of the flu. Members of the Mission Community can contact the Student Health Center to receive a flu shot.
- If you are sick, stay home. As is advised by the County of Santa Clara Public Health Department, anyone with respiratory symptoms, such as a cough, sort throat, or fever should stay home and limit contact with other people.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Don’t share food and drinks.
- Clean and disinfect shared surfaces and objects that are touched frequently (e.g. door knobs, desks, phones).
- If you can, avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms.
For more information and updates related to this virus, please follow sccphd.org/coronavirus